Telling the Time
How do we ask the time?
– What time is it?
– What is the time?
– Do you have the time?
– Have you got the right time?
– Do you know what time is it?
– Can you tell me what time is it, please?
– Do you happen to have the time?
– Could you tell me the time, please?
Giving the Time :-
-It’s exactly or about or almost or just gone …
-Sure, it is…
-The time is 4 o’clock.
-It’s quarter past three .
-Sorry, I am not wearing a watch .
What time is it?
-It’s 7 O’clock .
( O’clock ‘ is used at full hours. It means Seven are no minutes.)
What is the time?
It’s 5 O’clock .
O’clock ‘ = is used at full hours. ( 5 : 00 )
– Have you got the right time ?
Sorry, I am not wearing a watch.
– Do you have the time ?
-It’s quarter past five .
( quarter = 15 minutes after the hour or 15 minutes before the hour)
– Could you tell me the time please ?
-It’s about half past two.
(half = 30 minutes passed the hour)
We use PAST for (01 minute to 30 minutes)
We use TO for (31 to 59 minutes)
It’s eight minutes past two. (02:08)
It’s five minutes to five. (04:55)
(am) = morning
(pm)= afternoon and night
2am = two o’clock in the morning.
2pm = two o’clock in the afternoon.
Exercises about time :